Thursday, October 1, 2009

LSU Tigers Football : A Outsiders View

First off I'd like to introduce myself formally, My name is Allen Lopp and I live in the Piedmont-Triad area of the great state of North Carolina. I'm a die-hard NC State Wolfpack fan always have been and always will be, but I'm also a fan of college football as a whole and I like to keep up with it as much as possible. A good friend of mine who will go unnamed, is a fan of the LSU Tigers and enjoys talking trash and telling me how good they are. After saying all of that I'll get into the premise of this post, are the LSU Tigers really as good as their ranking?

LSU is coached by one of the best college football coaches and recruiters around in Les Miles. They usually rank inside the top ten in recruiting ranks, and also consistently ranked inside the Top 25 teams in the nation in the polls. Coming into this season LSU was ranked as high as ninth in the USA today poll, but with the recent giants of football falling in upsets LSU has quietly moved up to fourth. Is LSU really the fourth best team in the nation?

The Tigers are lead on offense by sophomore quarterback Jordan Jefferson, a deadly running back tandem in Keiland Williams and Charles Scott, and Jefferson's favorite target Brandon LaFell. Some of the key defensive contributes are Harry Coleman, Chad Jones, and Rahim Alem. I also have to give a shout out to one of the SEC's best return men in Trindon Holliday.

This is a very talented LSU team, but they are young and inexperienced in several key positions for example quarterback. They have potential to be one of the best teams in the SEC, but they are going to have to improve in both sides of the ball because they rank last in the SEC in total offense and ninth in total defense. In fact they are actually giving up more yards then they are gaining.

This Saturday's game will be a their first real "test" when they play at 18th ranked Georgia. I put test in quotation marks because they struggled against Mississippi State that they should have absolutely destroyed. They are going to have to play much better against Georgia if they want people to take them seriously. This weekend will tell us a lot about both LSU and Georgia.

My Official Game Prediction

I think the Georgia Bulldogs will have a tough time keeping up with the athleticism and speed of a very talented LSU team, LSU wins a tough home game 21-17.

No comments:

Post a Comment